Monday, February 19, 2007

Why I blog

I recently read through a popular philosophy book called "The Pig that wants to be eaten: and ninety-nine other thought experiments". I enjoyed reading it and exercising my brain.

One thought experiment theme is a discussion of art. Is art worthwhile if no-one is able to see it? One example was: if there was a lead lined box which contained an unseen, undiscovered Michaelangelo, but was rigged to explode should the box be opened or probed, would it be worth keeping as art?

Basically, this blog falls into that category. The only people who might be interested in reading this are the people who know me. I have deliberately kept it a secret: if anyone who knows me stumbles across this blog, they'll know who I am, but I haven't advertised it to anyone. Anyone who doesn't know me won't find this interesting enough to keep reading. The situation reminds me of the middle verse of "Eleanor Rigby" where Father McKenzie is "writing the words of a sermon that no-one will hear".

So, why do I bother blogging?

My conclusion on the art thought experiment was that if the essence of art is the self-expression of the artist, then it doesn't matter if no-one sees it. If art has to be done for fame, money, or to make a point, then it's worthless if private, but I'm a romantic and I like to think it is there for the artists enjoyment (not that I'm conceited enough to compare my poorly phrased writing with Michaelangelo's creativity).

I blog as an outlet for my thoughts. It's a very cheap form of therapy. I'd like to use it as a way of getting my thoughts in order, and find out about myself. It's a nice record if I ever decide to read over it again.

I also enjoy having a place to whinge without any repercussions of coming back to bite me. I want to vent after a frustrating day.

In the unlikely event of anyone reading any of it for pleasure or information, it would be a definite added bonus.

Anyway, enough rambling for one night.

Love to you all.

AcidCat

No comments: