Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lent

Shrove Tuesday is over. The pancakes are all eaten, and forty days separate us from tearing into our chocolate easter eggs.

Giving up something for Lent seems a good idea. Many religions advocate a period of self-denial to make you appreciate how lucky we are, to concentrate on non-material matters and to generally improve ourselves.

I'm not religious, but I will be giving up stuff for Lent. I think it's a good time to re-affirm the New Year's resolutions, and improve ourselves by giving up vices.

A friend is giving up chocolate, cake, biscuits and crisps for Lent. I think it's a great idea, and really hope he succeeds. I've bet him a big chocolate egg come Easter and £10 for a charity of his choice if he makes it. And if he fails, I get smug rights in return. I hope he wins.

I believe in self-improvement. Use every excuse to start the process.

AcidCat

No comments: