Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Reasons to be cheerful, part 1

Today is Shrove Tuesday, final day before Lent... time to have one last day of gluttony before 40 days of deprivation.

This morning started well. I got a lovely compliment from a lovely lab mate from a different group. She said that I would make a great doctor and I should work with kids as I have a personality for it as I'm very positive. I had told her that I wanted to be a doctor, but I didn't tell her that I wanted to work in paediatrics. It's a wonderful feeling to have your decisions vindicated, especially by people you like. I need to get down to the whole application process...

My other high of the day was the evening. I had already asked the lab if they fancied coming round my house to make pancakes, but had my offer declined. I was facing an evening of working late in the lab with my good friend the Ringleader. Our labmate LG was talking about joining us, but he was a bit depressed and was thinking of just going home. We tried to tempt him to come out and join us for dinner, even if he wasn't staying to work, but he just looked miserable and was going to go home. It was only when we suggested icecream that he was excited and agreed to come out for a bit.

When we got to the icecream parlour (G&D's), I noticed that the really excellent cocktail bar opposite (Duke of Cambridge) was on half-price happy hour, and knowing LG had a weakness for cocktails and looked like he could do with a drink, our merry band went in for a quick one.

And then another.

It was great fun. I love the little unexpected impromptu evenings out much more than Friday night drinking. I love the way it's a bonus, Friday nights seem like you're meant to be out and having fun, and you're a loser if you're not. I love the way other nights it isn't as crowded and feels a little illicit as you're out on a school night...

We had a great time. I had a Creme Brulee flavoured cocktail which was ok, and a wonderful Black Forest cocktail. By the end of happy hour we were in fine spirits and a very chirpy, jovial bunch. It had done all three of us a lot of good, and rounding off the evening in the ice cream parlour was a happy ending. We didn't end up managing to achieve any work, but I'm glad I went. It was being completely true to the spirit of the "Yes" campaign. It's the kind of thing that would have been very easy, sensible and logical to say no to, but had I done so, I think that all three of us would have had a worse evening for it. We blew off a little steam and I'm glad we all said yes, despite LG feeling down, and my and the Ringmaster's workloads.

I loved being in the position that instead of being the one who needed lifting up, I was the one able to help cheer up others. I don't always get it right, but when you manage to make someone's life a little better, it's the most incredibly fantastic feeling.

That's why I want to be a doctor.

Love to you all, party hard, and say yes.

AcidCat

No comments: