Saturday, February 03, 2007

Back again

Hey kids,

It's been quite a long hiatus. If anyone was reading this blog, most would assume that it had gone belly up because of boredom or inertia, much the same as most new year catalysed blogs.

Anyway, the reason I haven't posted recently is that I moved to Oxford to finish off my PhD, and haven't got an internet connection where I'm currently lodging, and I don't really want to blog at work, as I value my anonymity. So, on a Saturday evening of working in the lab, as it's empty of all co-workers, I have a chance to catch up. Hurrah!

Ok, so lots to summarise.

Moving back to Oxford was lovely. I had a wonderful time here as an undergraduate, some of the happiest years of my life. I moved to Cambridge to do my PhD, and hated it. Seriously, if anyone is thinking of applying to university at Oxbridge and think they're similar, they are sadly mistaken. The differences are astounding.

In my experience, Oxford is much bigger and livelier. You can tell Oxford is a city, whereas Cambridge is barely a village. I found Oxford people more welcoming, and Cambridge students more liable to be a bit insular and cliquey, but I suppose there is a little bias, and they both suffer from this snobbishness, just to different degrees (also the college you attend makes a big difference).

Anyway, returning to Oxford I was worried it wouldn't be nice coming back. After all, it's been about 4 years away now, things have moved on, and I barely know anyone here.

It's been fantastic.

It's a bit weird though, the same as it was but different. The lab mates are nicer for having moved to Oxford, but that's in part for them bonding from having to move all the equipment, so I've felt really welcomed.

But also, any students I've met since arriving have been great. The fellow grad students who I share accommodation with, the few times I've seen any of them (due to my long work hours) they have been very amiable.

I went to Tai Chi last Monday. I've been dabbling with it for a while, it's great fun and a good alternative to yoga. The Oxford student society I went to was fantastic. The class itself was really enjoyable, and it was pleasing to see they went to the pub (Turf) afterwards. They were all so friendly and boisterous, it was as if I'd known them for years instead of minutes. This may have been in part due to my brother being a keen member of the society for over a year, but it was a buzz to feel like I belonged so quickly. I'm looking forward to the next class.

My saying yes more resolution is holding. It's very sociable and fun to do. The only downside is you end up not working as hard as you should, and burning the candle at both ends. I'm shattered now! I'm heading home after this post.

In fact today's take home message is:

1) Try something different and new if the opportunity exists.
2) Say "yes" more!

And on that note, I bid you goodnight!

AcidCat

PS Ms Kylie Minogue has announced that she and Oliver Martinez are no longer a couple. I wonder if Kylie goes for twentysomething males who will shortly (fingers crossed) have a PhD and want to be a doctor? Kylie is lovely :) !!!!

No comments: