Thursday, February 15, 2007

Grasp the Nettle

Today I had a short day at the lab for recent standards. I left before 22:30, which is a big improvement.

When I rejoined the lab this year, everything had changed for the better. Recently the cracks had started to appear, and Jizznut seemed to be irritating many people in the group. It hit the point that there was a definite split in the group, and factions were starting to form.

I wasn't sure what to do. I found out the supervisor was aware that not all was well, but I don't think he wanted to intervene unless he had to, hoping we would sort it out ourselves. Our line manager (PimpDaddy) is too kind and relaxed to sort anything out, so it seemed like all could come crashing down. I'm only there for under two more months, but I didn't want to see the group tear itself apart, specially as I think the group are a lovely bunch.

So, when I found we were the last to leave, I took my chance. I asked to speak to him for a few minutes, and asked how he felt in the group. I explained the friction surrounding him in the group, and what was causing the problems. He said he understood, and was trying to solve the problems, but found the rest of the group were also to blame.

I really hope we manage to improve things. The next few days will tell. I honestly think that all the group are very good people, but we can annoy each other quite easily.

I hate confrontation, but I feel that it really did help. Avoiding confrontation is a bad habit I've picked up from my parents, but I realise it's quite harmful. I'm going to try and keep it going, as bitching behind people's back doesn't solve anything in the long term: it just makes you feel better in the short term. Confronting the problems lead to a kill or cure: let's hope it's a cure...

Love to you all
AcidCat

No comments: