Monday, February 26, 2007

Sunny Sunday

A combination of the "say yes" and "Do it" thoughts led to today being somewhat busy.

I decided to ring a friend who I go breakdancing with to see if he was going today, to the Oxford session. He's been suggesting I went for a while, so I asked him. He said he would if I would, so I said yes, and agreed to meet him for the 8pm session.

I then rang my brother to see if he wanted to do an early dinner together before my breakdancing. He agreed, and despite my offer to go out to eat, he suggested cooking round mine. We decided to meet at around 5-5:30pm round mine.

I went into town, picking up my car en route. It's incredibly difficult to park a car in Oxford, even on a Sunday. I found a two hour parking space near Keble road, so popped into the lab briefly, doing a little work, but not much. Sphincter Boy and JizzNut were there, I was pleased to see one of them and we had a bit of a chat about rugby, while I tried to work. All too soon my two hours were up, so I had to head back to move the car. On leaving the lab I met the Ringleader who wasn't overjoyed at the prospect of sharing a Sunday in the lab with JizzNut.

I trawled the centre trying to find a space, but to no avail. I finally chanced upon a space on Walton Street, so walked to Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer, where I decided I'd base a meal on roast chicken as they were on offer in M&S. I got some decadent oozing filling steamed puddings in both Chocolate sponge and sticky toffee pudding flavours.

I headed back home as I realised that I needed to get the chicken on or it would be very late. I dashed straight to the kitchen and looked at the electric fan oven. I don't really trust electric cooking devices, but it turns out that this one was excellent, and I really should have reduced the temperature for the fan assisted oven as suggested on the packaging. As it happened, the food ended up being slightly carbon enhanced.

My brother cycled through the pouring rain and I welcomed him with a cup of tea. He set to fixing my punctured bike tyre, while I put the rest of the food on. I was quite impressed by my efficiency, managing to feed him by around 6pm. He was a sweetie, and didn't mind the food being a little blackened cajun style (partly from the standard of Balliol hall food being quite as disgusting as it is). I managed to burn the beansprouts with parma ham a little, thank god I got the rice ok, or it would have been a clean sweep.

We had a lovely chat, but I had to dash off for the breaking session. I drove to the session which was good fun, but I'm really rusty and unfit. It was nice to meet my friend Q again though. Despite it finishing at gone 10, he asked if I wanted to go for food or drink with him. Normally I would say no, but with the new resolution I followed him to a chinese where I sipped an Orange Tango. It was fun just yapping away, and we left at nearly midnight when they were shutting up shop.

It's been a busy day, and lots of fun. It's largely come about through saying yes, and the mentality of "doing". So enrich your life: Say yes, and Do it!

AcidCat

PS www.tanksforsale.co.uk has used tanks for the price of a small family car. I'd better start saving...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Blog post has been brought to you by AcidCat, plugging www.do-it.org the nationwide volunteering website. Put something back, and have some fun while you're at it!

No comments: