Saturday, February 24, 2007

Depression vs Sadness

It's nearly two am, I've just come back from the lab, and it seems like an ideal time to discuss the difference between being depressed, and being sad.

This evening, I've been at work on my own till half past one in the morning. I'm exhausted. I spent the time composing questions for a problem session that I'm sure everyone will gripe about, either behind my back or to my face. I had a pretty unsuccessful, stressful day. I finally gave up on my cow-worker Jizznut as an irritating, self-important, ego-testical, self-centred, bigoted, selfish waste of space. I had to cycle home in a torrential downpour without waterproofs. My bike tyre had a sudden and rapid puncture halfway back, forcing me to walk home, and fix it at some point.

I may be angry, annoyed and a bit sad, but I'm not feeling depressed.

Depression is a whole world apart from being sad.

When I was depressed, I couldn't function. Every little thing seemed insurmountable. My whole life was unbearable, and the slightest problem would derail me.

Some people say the difference between sadness and depression is down to whether or not you've got a reason to be sad, and depression is when you're gloomy. I think it's closer to PMT (I'd assume from descriptions of PMT, having never had it) in that depression means very tiny triggers can plunge you into the depths of despair.

I wish I could be more eloquent about this, but due to my general fatigue, I'm being somewhat inelegant with my words, so I'll stop for the night and may have another stab at what I'm trying to say later in the future.

Good night, love to you all. Do everything you can to make this world a better place to live in.

AcidCat

No comments: