Sunday, February 18, 2007

R.I.P Andrew Mason

I had a really enjoyable weekend. A weekend where I managed to do some work, spend an evening with my family, and catch up with a friend who had been a constant support in my time of need. I then drove back up to university with my brother.

There I was wandering through his back quad, where I saw many bouquets of flowers around a tree. I asked my brother if it was for a college memorial. He told me that the Balliol college JCR student president, Andrew Mason, had recently committed suicide.

I didn't know Andrew at all. Apparently he was a bright, kind and gifted student, with a girlfriend and was doing very well and his death was a complete surprise. Recently, I've been thinking a lot about suicide. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't the answer, and there is almost always a better way.

No matter how dire the problem, or the pressure you're put under, it isn't worth throwing your life away. I never got too close to the edge, as I never wanted to put my family through any pain or suffering. However, without that anchor, I could see how easy it would be to slip over. Getting depressed, you become irrational, and all your problems seem insurmountable.

Even the most serious problems, you can go away and start a new life. Do something positive. Go to a different country and make a difference to someone's life. If necessary, borrow the money and disappear. Life is too important and precious to waste.

Having experienced depression, I know how debilitating it can be though. Suicide seems an attractive option when you feel your life is a waste and you have nothing to live for, no future. If this ever seems the case, please get help. Talk to a friend, family, the Samaritans or a doctor. If your doctor isn't helping, see another until you find one who will take you seriously.

Having come out the other side, mostly intact, I can vouch that the struggle is worth it. One day the sun will shine again, so it's important that you're around to see it.

So, to the friends and family of Andrew Mason, my thoughts are with you. My condolences to you at this painful time.

To everyone else, please value everything you have, you have no idea when it may all get swept away from you in a heartbeat. Show your love at every possible opportunity.

Rest in peace, Andrew.

AcidCat

1 comment:

sugar4mybabies said...

I've been there, and I feel your concern. It was thoughtful of u 2 think, and gesture, of the deceased being that u did'nt even know them.