Friday, March 02, 2007

Big Catchup

Ok, haven't posted for a little while as I couldn't log onto blogger.com.

If you're on blogger.com and haven't updated your login to the new shiny Google login, I recommend not doing so until the login has been sorted out.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, I've now got three days worth of news to catch up on. I'm going to try and write in a style of how I would have written on the day, with the same level of knowledge.


Tuesday 27 February - God doesn't want me to Cycle
I've decided that God doesn't want me to cycle. I went breaking at Brookes, without my friend Q who decided he was too injured to come. I was cycling home at around midnight, when all of a sudden, I heard a pop, hiss, and found I had a fast puncture on my rear bike tyre, AGAIN!!

Ok, God, I can take a hint. You really don't want me to cycle. The only problem is, in Oxford, I really have to. I'm not good enough to rollerblade to work, there's no-where to park my car, walking is too slow, and I'm too unfit to run. I'm afraid I'm going to have to repair/replace the tyre and keep going.


Wednesday 28 February - Caught by the Fuzz / God doesn't want me to do Chemistry
Took advantage of the Orange 2 for 1 cinema ticket offer, and went to see Hot Fuzz with Captain Anal, Pimp Daddy, Sphincter Boy and the Ringleader. I was the only one who thought the trailer for the Brit-flick comedy "I want Candy" looked tedious and tiresome. However, we were all blown away by Hot Fuzz.

If you can cope with silly films, there really is something for everyone. It tips an affectionate nod to many contempory films, subtlely or blatantly. There are some marvellous cameos, including Timothy Dalton proving he can ham it up with the best of them (also the excellent Bill Bailey, Steve Coogan, Bill Nighy and many more). The writing is sharp, some great physical comedy and wonderful performances from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. A wonderful evening.

Less wonderfully was my return to the lab. This is a bit of geek mode for a subsection of scientists who work in organic chemistry labs, so if the following paragraph makes no sense, skim past it, and the summary is: I really cocked up a lot of work:

I had set up a 15 gram reaction in 600 mL AcOH and planned to work it up after the movie. I took a magnetic follower (magic wand) and tried to remove the rugby ball stirrer bar to rotavap the acetic acid. The stirrer bar fell through the base of the rbf, and shattered it, sending the solution all over the base of my shared fume hood and down the sink. I really regret the clutter and cork rings as I watched my precious compound soaking in. I threw towels at it and managed to rescue some onto tissue, but the clear up took me till 1:00 am, before a long walk home...

A non-ideal way to end an evening.

Thursday 1 March - God doesn't want me to use Motorways
I skidded in late for our 9am group meeting after the previous evening, but my sympathetic boss had heard about my woes and was charming. I set the group problems list this week, so it was my turn to bring snacks. In honour of Fairtrade Fortnight, I brought in Fairtrade bananas, TradeCraft Fairtrade "Breakaway" bars (Which are like Kit-Kat Chunky, but are fairtrade, and by not being Nestle owned are not responsible for infant mortality in the third world), and a fruit bar for the Ringleader who is giving up chocolate for Lent.

I spent most of the day dealing with the aftermath of the accident the previous night. We had been invited for dinner round Captain Anal and Sphincter Boy's house, which I drove to with The Ringleader. Everyone else had pulled out last minute. It was a lovely evening, but I had to drive home which was a 90 minute drive, so we didn't stay too late.

I was a bit pissed off on my drive home. The motorway I tried to join was coned off on the slip road, so I drove a long way to just get on the motorway. When changing off the motorway to the final motorway that sliproad too was coned off, so I got off at the next junction and got thoroughly lost. I got home about 1am. Again.

Friday 2 March - Let people help you.
An early start at the hospice induction where I'm to volunteer, which is why I had the long late night drive. It took the whole morning, but I found it quite useful.

When I got home, my mum told me that my brother was having serious problems with his supervisor and was distressed. I heard the details, which I will be discreet about, but if I ever find this guy, I'm going to find a balaclava and break his legs. I'm furious.

I spoke to my brother tonight, and I'm so worried. I want to do anything I can for him, but he's being stoic and trying to do it all alone.

I'm there for you if you let me. Let me help please.

Oh, and if you wrong my friends and family: Watch your back. And wear Kevlar.

-----------------------
Very longwinded catch up over. On a different note, I got a lovely thank you note from the wedding I attended in September. I'm thinking of you guys. You're lovely, I really hope you have all the best luck for the future.

Love to everyone except the bastard who made my brother miserable.

AcidCat

No comments: