Sunday, March 11, 2007

Busy busy

Today I tried to work hard, but stuff happened.

I went into work and found out that one of the most recent attempts had worked. I celebrated by having lunch with two of my co-workers who were in: Pimp Daddy and Ringleader. I possibly crazily suggested that they come over to have dinner with me. They both agreed.

I then realised that I hadn't thought this through. I had no food.

Fortunately a friend in a different lab asked if anyone wanted to go to town with him. To continue to say yes, I agreed to go in with him, which also gave me the opportunity to buy stuff for dinner.

It was enjoyable, and it was nice to talk to him. He is from Italy and has only been in Oxford for a few months. I was able to help him with his shopping too. I picked up an excellent Oakham chicken from M&S which was at half price, and decided to roast it as it's low effort.

We had a nice wander and chatted about various things, including my say yes quest. I invited him to join us tonight for dinner, but he had to look after a friend. We headed back to the lab, where I finished off my experiment and then I headed home to start cooking. I rang up Sphincter Boy to find out if he was back in Oxford, and fancied coming to dinner. He was and decided to come back.

I put the chicken in the oven and then found out that I didn't really have enough plates or bowls or mugs. Or chairs.

It didn't matter, it was all a lot of fun when everyone turned up. It wasn't a raucous night, as people were trying to conserve energy for the week ahead, but it was fun. People stayed till 9 pm, and it turned out I'd prepared too much food.

They had left for a little while and I was settling down in front of the big pile of washing up when my mobile rang out of the blue. It was my boss who was asking for help moving some equipment. I agreed as it was a pleasure to do anything for someone who had helped me so much over the past few years. It meant lugging a very heavy lump of equipment to the lab from his car (which is a pretty swish VW Golf).

Anyway, that's my Saturday. I'm fired up and ready to go for an exciting week of work ahead. Bring on Monday!

AcidCat

No comments: