Monday, March 12, 2007

Malaysian monks face ant dilemma

This comes from a news story I found on the BBC news website.


A group of Buddhist monks in Malaysia is appealing for help to solve a problem with ants.

Buddhism forbids devotees from harming any living creature.

So the monks are looking for a creative and non-violent solution to deal with the insects, which are biting worshippers.


Seemed fair enough to me, but a quote near the end caught my eye:


An attempt to remove them using a vacuum cleaner failed, so the Buddhist community is appealing for help.

They cannot encourage anyone to harm the ants, but the chief monk says that if someone turns up unbidden and deals with them without the monks' involvement then that is the will of the universe.



Does this make the chief monk sound like a mafia don to anyone else? Like he's not suggesting anyone murder a traitor, but if someone were to kill them, then hey, that's life...

I wonder if I'm the first person to compare a chief monk to a mafia don.

I hope neither comes after me, I don't know if I really want either to hunt me down. Slightly more worried about a mafia boss doing so.

Better start looking for a safe house now...
AcidCat

No comments: