Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy birthday

It was the amazing one's birthday today. I had a bit of a dilemma as I'm constantly wondering what I can do around her as a friend without crossing the line of becoming a stalker. In the end, I settled on buying her a small birthday cake and a small box of chocolates (which was a somewhat challenging task as she's allergic to nuts, Belgian chocolate (and incidentally fish, but that didn't really rear it's ugly head today)). Fortunately she's not super-allergic to nuts so I erred on just buying things that didn't contain nuts but had the "may contain traces of nuts" warning (which seems to be all chocolate or cake. Fortunately, I was in an area of London which happened to have a Waitrose which had a good range of chocolates and I found something which seemed suitable.

I dropped by her flat this afternoon to give them to her. She was in the kitchen with two of her flatmates, and she seemed genuinely pleased to receive birthday cake, and said it was completely unexpected. She invited me to stay for a slice, so I spent a decent portion of the afternoon chatting with her and her flatmates, eating cake and drinking tea. To be honest, I wasn't brilliant conversation as it's starting to feel a little weird being around her, as I've got such strong feelings towards her swirling around my insides, and when I look at her I literally find it harder to breathe. It's just her beauty and her smile that makes my brain melt into a grey lump of jelly. I lose any ability to be suave and sophisticated around her, and I'm losing the skills of speech which really does bother me.

Anyway, I'm glad I did buy the small gifts and also glad I didn't buy anything more over the top. I think it was a discreet thing to get that a friend might have just bought for another friend even if they weren't mad about them.

Enough daydreaming and navel gazing for today. I'm off to start work, which is very long overdue.

AcidCat

2 comments:

Ph.D. diet said...

Hi Acidcat,
how are you? Please don't thank me so many times for posting my comments or reading yours.. I want to be friends with you, i'm not just being kind..
If you want to know more about Sunsigns, maybe you can read the book of the same name by Linda Goodman.. I'm sure you will become a believer too :)
My wishes to the amazing one.. Take care.. Bye..
Ash.

AcidCat said...

Hi Ash,

Well, just as long as you realise that I love the fact that someone is reading and commenting occasionally. It is a bit weird: I've tried to be reasonably careful about preserving my anonymity, even to the extent of not filling out this blog on shared computers (though anyone who knows me could probably put the clues together, but I'm working on the assumption they're just unlikely to come across this blog). But although this is mainly for my own benefit and it's quite cathartic and satisfying to have somewhere to put down my thoughts, it is a nice feeling to know that I'm connected to someone in the outer world.

I might see if I can find the Linda Goodman book when I have spare time... this might be quite a while into the future at this rate though... It would be interesting.

Take care of yourself too.

AcidCat