Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dance to express, not to impress

Oh. My. God.

I have had such a shit day.

I tried to do my tutorial work after a nap at 10pm, having set my alarm for 11pm. I woke up, vaguely having remembered hearing my alarm, by my second alarm set for half past six in the morning. So the tutorial work remained very much incomplete.

The only bright point of my day was the reason I set my alarm for that god-forsaken hour: I was trying a yoga-type thing which was a bit like Tai-Chi called Kalari. It was fun and quite tiring (especially bearing in mind how little movement it all was).

The tutorial went as well as could be expected bearing in mind I had literally done none of the work for it. Thank goodness that a fair amount of this week's work was to revise stuff we had previously done.

Then I came home for a nap. I set my alarm for an hour, woke up exhausted, and slept for a further 20 minutes with the snooze function before finally emerging. I feel seriously sleep deprived.

Then to complete my bad day: I started losing things - my keys, my mobile phone, my access pass for the university (all of which I later found), but also my bandana and earphones, both of which are still missing. Most annoying thing I lost was my temper:

Basically I went for a dance audition today. It said to turn up for 6:30pm, so I turned up a few minutes early and they sent me to another room to wait for a few minutes while they finished getting ready (which was noisy and I couldn't work). About 20 minutes later, they finally told me we'd probably be starting around 7. I got a bit pissed off at this and wandered down to the library.

I came back at 7, and saw the dance they wanted us to audition to.

I was horrified.

It was the most appalling dance, with no skill, and all about doing grinding motions, both in the air, and facing the ground. In addition, the music it was done to was a dreadful dirge by that child molester - R Kelly. The guy taking the "class" was an appalling dancer, and couldn't teach. I tried sticking it out for a bit, but it all was a bit much for me, so I grabbed my bag and started to leave.

One of the committee organising it said that if I was busy I could either do the audition piece there and then, or come back on Monday to audition. I was pretty angry and frustrated at this point and shared some of my grievances with him. He tried to suggest that not all the dances they would eventually perform were that tacky and crass, at which point, I told him that the audition piece was shit. And left.

I get the feeling I won't get a call back from that audition.

Then on the way back, I discovered how few cars understand that if someone is trying to cross at a Zebra crossing that they're meant to stop.

I've managed to get rid of most of my anger by dancing hard when I got back, to some proper music.

Still, very annoyed and need to do lots of work for tomorrow.

I really hate life at the moment.

AcidCat

No comments: