Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dance, dance, dance

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching"


Hi guys!

Had a bit of an unexpected day. Tiredness due to the late nights (phone calls with the friend - hoping he doesn't ring again tonight, not sure if I can manage another one) so have been sluggish and struggled to get my work done (currently procrastinating, and will restart work after this post).

I agreed to teach a flat mate the basics of breaking (aka breakdancing, but people who do it tend to call it breaking or bboying). So this afternoon, we were in the kitchen, with some music playing, and I was running him through the basics of "toprock" (the bits of breaking where you're standing and dancing upright). After a while, the flat's doorbell rang, and another one of my flatmates answered it. He returned with three female random strangers, who lived in the flat opposite and had been watching us dance, and asked to join in!

I was a bit taken aback, and a bit disturbed that people had been watching us mucking around like that. I love to dance, but am quite self-conscious about it. When I dance in front of people, I have to work hard at "dancing like no-one is watching". When it transpired that not only our three guests were not the whole audience, with other people from their flat seeing our dance lesson, and other flats looking in, I was starting to feel somewhat embarrassed and thinking that I should have drawn the curtains (couldn't though as we needed the windows open for air).

Anyway, as they didn't seem to be taking the piss, I started running through some basics. They ran off pretty quickly so I wonder if it wasn't what they were expecting, but it was just a bit bizarre. I think they were enjoying it, as one of my flatmates who does enjoy staring (spying) out of our kitchen window saw them practising in their kitchen.

In the end, I thought it was quite fun. I admire their gutsiness and courage to go to a random flat and say "We were in the flat opposite watching you dance and want to join in". Not only that, they had originally got the floor wrong, and rang the bell of the flat below us. I would have loved to have seen the confusion on the face of the guy who answered that door.

Anyway it's been fun. But I badly need to work. In a way it's probably the most fun thing I've done since getting here. A good memory of this place for my future.

AcidCat

No comments: