Monday, November 10, 2008

Higher and higher

It's a slightly strange feeling, but things seem to be going so well at the moment. My mood is brilliant, even though I haven't done enough work, and I don't understand the work well enough, it isn't bothering me.

When life is going well, things just seem that much easier to manage. I think some people who don't suffer from depression can't really understand how hard it is when you're depressed to just keep going on an even keel and think positive. I mentioned how shocking I found it about the lack of sympathy for depression showed by my classmates: the doctors of the near future. I think it can be hard to grasp until you've been there, and sadly I'm not eloquent enough to express it to them.

Anyway, just a quicky. Had a lovely dinner with some of my ex-lab mates from my previous life as a PhD student. They very kindly bought me dinner which was very touching, and it was brilliant to catch up with them and see them so happy. It's funny how people stay the same in certain ways.

Am learning all about the very complex human immune system. Have got a very good book, which aims to be a nice, simple introduction called "How the immune system works" by Lauren Sompayrac. It is fantastically clear and easy for beginners, but I do find the casual language he uses slightly over the top. I'm really enjoying it though, and I'm saddened that there aren't more medical text books written in such a clear, simple, introductory manner... there is a gap in the market out there!

Anyway, back to the immune system. It's thrilling to actually start understanding what antibodies, B cells, T cells and all the other bits with the immune system really are!

AcidCat

No comments: