Thursday, January 11, 2007

Eat like an ape

Hi guys,

I've been watching the BBC documentary "The truth about food". I was astonished by the success of the people with high cholesterol on a raw fruit and veg diet (called the Evo diet), designed to mimic the hunter-gatherer origins of our predecessor's food sources. After 12 days on the diet, it had made significant improvements to their health, comparable to using medicine to control the symptoms.

I have therefore decided to have a stab at the diet. I don't suffer from high blood pressure, or diabetes, I'd like to feel healthier and more energetic though, and hope this might help. I've tried faddy diets before, particularly a detox one where you eat nothing, and drink water and fruit juices for 3-5 days. I've never done Atkins, as I think it's unhealthy, and I have some objections on animal respect grounds (I'm not veggie, but I agree with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's disgust at meat becoming the next "diet coke", the animal deserves better).

I'll have a stab at it, probably starting Saturday, and see how it goes. I love cooked food, and love meat. Salmon sashimi isn't out, but as you're not allowed salt, it rules out soy and wasabi which will spoil it badly. I'm going to suffer. On the plus side, I don't really drink tea or coffee or eat chocolate, so ruling out caffeine isn't going to be hard, and being nearly teetotal, not having alcohol should be a piece of (raw carrot)cake.

Will let you know how it comes along.

Love

AcidCat

No comments: