Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Depression

Finally got round to watching Stephen Fry's documentary on manic depression from about a month ago.

I'm not suffering from manic depression, I don't have the huge highs that accompany the lows. A lot of it did ring true though. Just like the interviewees, I was pretty resistant to getting help,
and only sought treatment when I recently had a breakdown and really couldn't cope. Even then, I had to be told to by various people. I didn't want to admit how serious it was, and was really against the idea of medication. Mental illness does have a stigma attached, even internally.

Unluckily, the first GP I saw was a complete waste of space. He basically implied it wasn't a real problem, I was just feeling a bit upset. He said to take a few days off and then carry on. Thanks. So basically I soldiered on until my boss basically said I was being unproductive and needed to get serious help, and maybe take an extended period of leave.

It was only then, when I went home and saw a doctor away from Cambridge that things started to improve. The GP I saw at home had time to speak to me, treated me like a human being, instead of just making me fill out a numerical form to diagnose my mental state, suggested medication and course of treatments, and emphasised to see him whenever, booking a double appointment if necessary if I needed to talk things over.

This made all the difference. If you're having problems with depression, I really would suggest getting help as soon as possible. I tried braving it out for a while, taking St. John's Wort. I think if I'd got help sooner, I'd have felt better sooner. The St. John's Wort meant I had to wait longer to start the more standard medication (Prozac) as it's unclear how long you need to leave between taking them (all that's really known is that taking both together at the same time is BAD!).

Also if you're GP isn't taking you seriously or isn't helpful, just see someone else. You really shouldn't have to put up with it.

Anyway, goodnight everyone, and good mental health.

AcidCat

PS. If you're looking for somewhere to waste a few minutes try DonutGames. I've been playing around with their puzzle games. Their "Funny Faces" and "Legend of Aladdin" are worth a go, and their "Reversi" is fun if a little easy. For a change of pace I've enjoyed "Spikey's Bounce Around" and been wasting a lot of time on "Laser Trap", which is a bit like the game "Qix", but I'm failing to get past level 9 on it. If anyone has helpful advice for it other than "Be less crap", I'd be interested...

No comments: