Sunday, January 14, 2007

Danny Wallace - What a guy

I've managed to prove myself wrong. This is officially my 11th post, so my prediction that this would go the way of many blogs and give up within about 10 posts is wrong. Small pat on my back time.

I've been a bit of a fan of Danny Wallace since the "Are you Dave Gorman?" project, which I watched on TV, then read the book. I felt that Dave Gorman lost it a little bit with his "Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure", but Danny's solo book "Join Me" was wonderful. It was great as a book, and an incredibly worthwhile project for good in the world. Not bad for a "boy project".

Anyway, I recently read the book by Danny Wallace called "Yes Man". It's been out for quite a while, just hadn't got round to reading it. I found it a bit depressing, as he starts the book having just been dumped by a long-term significant other, which had a lot of resonance for me. It's about what happens when he tries to say "Yes" to every offer and question for most of a year. And follow through with it. I don't want to spoil the book for any of you (and you should all read it if you haven't already done so: it's great), but it's quite inspiring, and even finds the time to discuss a bit of philosophy about saying "yes" and "no" (admittedly pub philosophy, but fun and interesting anyway).

I decided saying "yes" would be a good thing for me to do. Not as insanely as he managed, but more in line to his guru, who issued the simple edict "Say yes more". I think I can manage that. I can say yes more. I can stop making excuses not to go out to stuff and see people. I can be more positive. (Incidentally this moment of lucidity inspired the blog title). I regret things I didn't say "yes" to in my failed relationship, I think possibly all may have been well if I had said "yes" instead of "no" or "maybe". (It's sadly a bit late for this epiphany).

But anyway, I enjoyed the book so much, and found it made such a difference to me, I emailed Danny to tell him.

Unexpectedly, he sent a short email back thanking me and hoping things get better for me.

What a guy! (Incidentally his friend Ian sounds like a really sweet guy, in Join Me and Yes Man. Was he the Talk Radio UK DJ from the 90s or just a namesake.)

Ok, I realise I'm getting excited over a short email, but it would have been very easy for him to just go "Oh, that's nice" or "More junk mail - hit delete". I appreciated the minutes it took for him to tap out a little reply.

Say "Yes" more.

On an aside, watched the Kylie "Homecoming" tour on Channel 4 last night. Kylie is lovely. She looked fantastic, particularly in the cat costume and boxing gloves ensemble she wore for "Red Blooded Woman". Kylie, if you read this (unlikely, I don't think anyone is), I'm so glad you're better, you rock completely in every style of music you turn your hand to (except rap, those moments were shaky, so "Vogue" suffered a bit), all the songs sounded brilliant and fresh (I preferred lots of the live songs to the studio sets) and you look awesome.

(I'm a bit of a fan of Ms. Minogue Sr.)

(Another aside, great line when Al Murray was interviewing Jason Donovan, the gist of which being:

Last year was a bad one for Kylie, when we all found out her terrible news: She was seeing a french bloke.

Ok, it made me giggle...)

OK, starting to ramble now, so I'm going to stop here.

Love to you all,

AcidCat

No comments: