Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Now that's what I call lectures, volume 1

Spent the evening at a fantastic lecture about medicine regarding to bomb blasts, gunshot and soft tissue injuries and how the army does it better (to be fair, somewhat unsurprising - their ambulances are helicopters!) and how they look after their own. It was fascinating stuff, really interesting, with stuff about why the exit wound with gunshots is larger than the bullet hole, where it's best to be shot if you have to be (surprisingly, it's through the lung, but put your hands up first, which will move your shoulder blades out of the way!), where bombs inflict maximum damage, what lengths the army go to save an injured colleague (it's amazingly inspiring actually). Admittedly, a large part of the enjoyment of the evening was the people I spent it with (the wonderful one and her best friend were the people who invited me to go with them) and as I said before, I would go to the competitive world-paint drying championship if it meant that I could spend some time with her.

Dagnabbit, I annoy myself with how much of a sap I am sometimes.

Oh, and while I was there, we met up with a plastic surgeon who was doing her utmost to scare us away from medicine. Bearing in mind my thoughts on the subject recently, it's brought it to the front of my mind again. Having said that, she seemed pretty much bitter about everything, so it might just be her. I don't know.

Have a flat tyre on my bike. It's most annoying. Getting to lectures on time today was a very close thing, but thanks to F----- who kindly gave me a lift in, so I just about made it.

Anyway, got an early start tomorrow and a full day of work ahead of me, so got to go to bed now. Just need to hold in the happiness and fun of being with her for a bit longer :)

AcidCat

No comments: