Friday, January 09, 2009

Oh (there's probably no) God...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this news story.

A Christian group reported an advert saying "There's probably no God" on the grounds of too little proof. I don't think proof is a thread they should be pulling on...

They claim that "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world."

Let's have a look at that... there's a hell of a lot of evidence for Santa (all the presents left behind, the eaten mince pies and sherry that have been left out, the photos, the fact you can meet him at the grotto, all the TV programs and films) and the tooth fairy (the disappearance of the tooth and the appearance of the money)...

People's personal experience... There are a lot of people out there who claim to have been abducted by aliens (admittedly a lot of them have been drinking, have mental problems, are rednecks... Not trying to tar all alien abductees or christians with the same brush here).

Complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world... This is the most subjective and difficult one for me to comment on. But I'd just comment that natural things (such as sunsets/landscapes/waterfalls) can be as beautiful as the man-made (Fine art, almost any car made by Aston Martin, almost anything made by Apple). I don't think beautiful things have to be designed, beautiful and complex things can be the result of chance. And dare I suggest it (in the 200th year since Darwin's birth), a little bit of evolution may have helped...

Good god, why are the god botherers so stupid?

AcidCat

PS Just so I make myself clear, I'm not slagging off religion or all religious followers. I just get really pissed off at the closed-minded, disengage-brain mindless-sheep-type religious herd. Grr.

No comments: