Thursday, January 08, 2009

Love is the drug?

I'm not sure if I want this story to be true or not.

Gist of the article is that a neuroscience researcher suggests that love can be broken down to a series of neurochemical events that are happening in brain areas. In effect, it brings the whole notion of love down to the level of a hormone imbalance in the brain.

A major caveat seems to be (I haven't read the actual article yet, hopefully I will get round to it soon) that it's on animal models, so may have limited validity in humans. In addition, I'm of the opinion that there are different kinds of love (familial love, romantic love, love of friends etc) so it seems to be difficult to pin down.

On one hand, I'd hate for something I feel so strongly to be magical to become so mundane and easily manipulated (just spray/inject in the appropiate chemical or hormone agonist/antagonist and away you go), but on the other hand, it appeals to my scientific side. Things which are inexplicable interest me, and I'm always fascinated by finding out what makes them tick. That's why I do think the brain is the most interesting part of the body.

Anyway, as I've finished my work for the night, I'd better go to bed...

AcidCat

No comments: