Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Something old, something new

Hi everybody!

Finally finished my placement at the pharmaceutical company last Friday. It's quite strange and a little sad. I got on well with my lab mates who were very welcoming (more so than the other workmates I met there), but I've got a fair amount of sadness about it (probably) being the end of my chemistry career.

Since being there, I realised that I've got far more skills with chemistry than I appreciated while doing my PhD. If I hadn't thought I was just mediocre with a test-tube, I may still be pursuing chemistry. Since A-levels, I had wanted to follow the academic pathway in chemistry: the plan was to do a degree in chemistry, then a PhD, then become a professor with my own research group. The experience of failure during my PhD made me think I'd crash and burn if I tried independant chemistry research. Now... I'm wondering if I'm throwing away something valuable.

Anyway, off onto the next new challenge!

AcidCat

No comments: