Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Feel more like a stranger each time I go home

Hi everybody!

I went back to my academic lab as one of my lab-mates viva and finish their PhD. Was very tempted not to go as they didn't bother telling me they were due to viva, I was left to hear it from the people in the lab, all of whom were told.

I'm glad I went. Not massively for myself, although I did end up having a good time. I realised that most of the lab mates were absent via holidays. It turned out that there were only four people who came back for his viva, one of whom can't stand the person finishing the PhD (and the feeling is mutual).

I remembered finishing my PhD, and the viva that followed. What made it for me was celebrating with all the people who I worked with and it made me really happy. I'm glad I helped increase the crowd size for him.

It also gave me a chance to spend a little more time with some more people from my lab who I really like, including someone new who I'm very sad I didn't get a chance to work with her (She's really awesome: smart, cool, kind, funny, amazing diplomatic skills - invaluable in the lab...). Also any evening when I get a chance to chat to my ex-boss is a good evening. I don't want to repeat my gushing praise again as I'm in danger of idolising him.

Anyway, I'm did have a good time there. However, I did realise that things are moving on and I really don't belong there any more. The people who made that place such a happy one are each slowly leaving. It never quite felt like home to me (nowhere does absolutely - I still haven't found a place to call home), but sadly although it felt close, I'm realising as time goes by, it becomes less and less like home.

I'm hoping my next adventure brings me home.

AcidCat

No comments: