Saturday, April 26, 2008

Holding out for a hero

Hi everybody!

When I was at the library to blog, I borrowed some comic books while I was there.

I've been drowning my misery in the tales of superheroes.

I've been addicted to the exploits of loads of superheroes. The stars of 2000AD such as Judge Dredd and the stalwarts of Marvel like Spiderman, the X-men, Iron man, Wolverine (even before the movies revived their fortunes). In particular DC comics were my drug of choice, with the stellar members of the Justice League: Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and the Flash.

My particular favourite was Batman.

Batman was the story of Bruce Wayne who was born into a privileged position of wealth and luxury. When he witnessed his parents gunned down in front of him, he didn't descend into self-pity and self-destruction. He didn't grow into an irresponsible, drug-snorting playboy. Instead he channeled the anger of the event and used it to fuel his determination to bring justice to the city.

I love comic books. I love the sense that the actions of a single determined individual can make a big difference to people's lives. I love the fact that these people are driven by a sense of right. I love the happy endings.

It gives me a few moments of escape from my life to a world of excitement, but more importantly a world of justice and redemption.

AcidCat

No comments: