Friday, October 30, 2009

Life Control

I've spent too long wallowing in depression and panic. Work is difficult and I'm not working hard enough.

As a result: I am going to stop procrastinating.

This will take the following forms:

1) I will only check the BBC news website, Facebook once daily.
2) I will only play starpirates once daily (I haven't linked it as it's a terrible game, but only started playing it to feel closer to ~R when I was stalking her. I knew she played it, and I didn't tell her that I was playing it too.
3) I will take regular breaks from work. Every 30 minutes or so, I will take a short break, do a few press-ups walk around, then come back and work harder.

In addition, to help me feel happier, I will develop a morning ritual. This will involve:
1) Tea
2) Exercise - Probably 20 press-ups
3) Positive thoughts

I am going to take control of my life and happiness again. ~R helps make me happy, but I need to rely on myself.

AcidCat

3 comments:

Ph.D. diet said...

Hi Acidcat,
I'm suffering from the same problem that you are.. I wonder why I can't just get down to it and do what has to be done.. Why do I keep having to find new reasons and ways to motivate myself.. In the first year of M.Sc., I used to put in 7 hours of work everyday in the library and now its a wonder if I manage 2.. I wonder how I used to do it then and wish I could find the old me (sigh)

Ph.D. diet said...

Oh! by the way, hows the tutoring coming along? I don't know if you don't like it that I post so many comments and ask some personal questions.. But since I read your blog, I feel like I know you and we share some problems too.. But if I'm bothering you, just let me know and I'll stop commenting :)

AcidCat said...

Hi Ash!

You're not bothering at all, it's always a pleasure to receive your comments (but I might not read them as frequently as I should as real life seems to devour all my social time).

Tutoring is going well here, but I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew in terms of time, as my medical studies work-load seems to be picking up pace. It's really good fun though, watching your students progress. I wonder if you'll enjoy your TOEFL as much as I enjoy teaching - I hope you do!

Motivation is a really tricky thing, especially when you're looking for a job. I'm so impressed that you managed to put in 7 hours of work a day at the start of your M.Sc - if I could work like that now, I don't think I'd be falling behind with things. It'll be a good experience for when you get your Ph.D! I hope you have good luck very soon with that.

Let's hope this year you can re-find the best of the old you, and add to it the best bits of the new you that you've become :)