Saturday, February 07, 2009

Look into my eyes... not around my eyes

I'm currently buzzing. I've just had my first session of trying to hypnotise someone else.

I've been flicking through lots of books on hypnosis, but mainly working from

"The dreamer's guide to mastering self-hypnosis" by Charles Tebbett
"Scripts & strategies in hypnotherapy" by Roger P. Allen
and
"Tricks of the mind" by Derren Brown.

I've always been fascinated by hypnosis, especially after seeing what Derren Brown does on TV. I still don't really understand hypnosis, despite reading about it (and I have no idea how stage hypnosis works, especially as quickly as that for the induction).

Anyway, V-- kindly agreed to be my guinea pig today. I had scribbled down some notes to give me some pointers and planned roughly what I was going to say. It was mainly a really relaxing script, to make a feeling and sensation of heaviness, with a little bit of trying to help with insomnia thrown in as a bonus (as I thought it was subtle anyway).

I was really nervous at the start, and certain bits didn't go so well. Like when I tried to make her arm really heavy and stick, she was able to lift it, albeit quite slowly and heavily. Luckily Derren Brown's book had mentioned a get around for that so it carried on ok.

The session ended up feeling like just a prolonged relaxation session, there was no magic there... I wonder if that is what hypnosis is: relaxation of the conscious mind to try and alter the subconscious? I needed to work on the pacing - I was leaving pauses in the wrong places, and I also contradicted some of the images V-- built up in her head by things I said (and when I brought her out at the end I forgot to say she could open her eyes, which meant she finished a bit confused and unsure), but otherwise I think it went well. I enjoyed it, and once I got over my nerves at the start, things went well.

I'm excited. Looking forwards to trying it again! Just have to do a large chunk of work first... exams on Friday (written) and Monday week (practical - OSCEs)

Let's go and work!

AcidCat

PS Huge thanks to V-- for being such a kind guinea pig. You were fantastic and really supportive, and I really appreciated the lovely feedback!

No comments: