Monday, September 08, 2008

First day

Day one of a four year graduate medicine program.

After a lot of (recent) panicking that I've been making the wrong decision by coming back to university to start all over again from scratch, leaving behind me the science discipline that I was talented at, I finally reached my first day.

It was a mixed experience. I feel like the first day went alright, but I realised that there is a hell of a lot of material to learn extremely quickly. I don't know if I'm up to the task. I've spent most of today trying to learn about the ear and how hearing works. It was all alien to me and all over my head, making me quite concerned.

But then, about an hour ago, while deep in anatomy and physiology books, I got the pay-off. I realised that by doing this, I'm going to have a hell of a lot of knowledge crammed into my tiny little brain very quickly. I'm going to start mining a different area of human discovery.

I've always wanted to be a renaissance man. Stephen Fry is awesome, and just seems to know so much stuff. I think being a renaissance man is beyond me, I don't have much art in my soul and I'm about as unathletic as they come. However, it excites me that I could become good in two separate disciplines: one physical science, one biological. Even if I don't get the opportunity to use both (which I would ideally love), if I manage to master them, it'll be an awesome feeling. And besides, it should give me plenty of trivia for the "down the pub" evenings...

AcidCat

No comments: