Friday, May 09, 2008

Judgement day.

It's half past one in the morning, and I have spent the evening celebrating the completion of my PhD viva.

It's been a strange day.

The viva was scheduled for 2pm (I only found out the time the day before). I didn't sleep particularly well the night before, and the hours spent before the viva were slightly tortuous. Especially when 2pm arrived, and the examiners weren't ready. I was kept waiting for half an hour being summoned.

The viva itself took three hours, which is a long time for a viva but the time flew by. I found it nerve-wracking because of the immense occasion, but I shouldn't have been worried: the external examiner said before the viva that my work was good, and on arrival in the viva room (my supervisor's office) they shook my hand and congratulated me on my work and for soldiering on with my PhD.

I can honestly say that if the same questions were asked informally I would have enjoyed the experience. As it was, the pressure made me answer badly and I wasn't happy with how it went. It was an amazing relief to have finished though and it's not all sunk in. I'm going to wait a while to let my thoughts sink in...

Goodnight all!

Dr AcidCat

No comments: